Taming a cow in Minecraft is very similar to taming a sheep. You’ll need wheat to attract the cow, and a place to keep the cow contained. Cows like to wander!
Cows can be killed for meat (so sad!) or milked using an iron bucket for milk, which is used in certain recipes.
Step-by-step Guide to Tame a Cow
- First, you need wheat which you can grow from seeds in the ground. Find some empty ground next to water and then use a hoe (right-click) on the empty ground to cultivate and prepare it. Equip your seeds and then right-click on the ground to plant them. Wait a day or two (Minecraft time) until the wheat is fully grown and then click on it with your hoe equipped to harvest the wheat.
- Equip your wheat and approach a cow. It will start to follow you and will continue to follow you as long as you have the wheat equipped in your hand.
- Guide the cow into an enclosed space. This can be the inside of a building or a special pen that you construct using wooden fences and a gate.
- Once the cow is inside your enclosure, close it off with a gate or door and you now have a pet cow. Moo!
Breeding Cows in Minecraft
When you tame and capture two or more cows in Minecraft, you can breed them to produce baby cows.
- Tame and enclose at least two cows using the steps mentioned above.
- Feed wheat to the cow by right-clicking on the wheat in your hotbar while standing in front of each cow.
- You will see hearts appear above the cow.
- Soon, a baby calf will be born.
- Repeat a few times to create a herd of cows.